Friday, July 10, 2009

Information overload

Been giving a lot of thought lately to the finite amount of time in a day and the inverse ratio of the volume of information to be consumed to the number of minutes remaining for other activities -- having a life, for instance.

I marvel at others' capacity for digesting an avalanche of messages -- news, communication, entertainment, etc. -- and still accomplishing more than I would attempt. Even adding to the volume of information for others to consume.

Something tells me that I need either a speed-reading course or a method for determining, before I read it, if something is worth the time.

Surely there is software for that.

I'm beginning to suspect that the Internet isn't as much to blame for the decline of newspaper-reading as I imagined. When information overload has been reached, it's only natural to want to shut off the flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment