Tuesday, July 14, 2009

What to say? Who will care?

Relatively new to the world of social networking, I'm finding that there are people who have lives even less interesting than my own. I know that because they tell me -- on their blogs, on Facebook, on Twitter.

It seems not too long ago that people who didn't guard their privacy might even exaggerate their experiences to impress others. That time seems to have passed.

Now an act of personal hygiene, a mundane task, a random thought all are assumed to be of interest to the rest of the world. Take, for instance, Jeni Searcy, a "lifecaster" in Fort Worth, Texas, whose life is an open electronic book. Melody McDonald of the Star-Telegram introduced us to Searcy and others like her, including a bride who considered tweeting while walking down the aisle.

"I -- uh, what? Oh, yeah. I do!"

If I'm going to get with the program, I'm going to have to dial down what I regard as worth sharing.

No comments:

Post a Comment