Thursday, June 11, 2009

One giant cyberleap

Welcome to what fills my mind as I vault from the printed page to the great unknown. Were it not for the online class I'm beginning, this transition might never have occurred -- or have occurred much later.

After years of spouting off with ink on paper about a variety of subjects -- most recently the craft of journalism -- we're moving to this new venue. With no small amount of trepidation.

I'm reminded of my early days as a cub reporter, finding that the writer's block that seized me as I approached my manual typewriter evaporated as my fingers touched the keys. When electric typewriters arrived, I feared that they would lack that magic. They didn't. Computers brought the same apprehension, but the chemistry made the transition, and words continued to flow.

Here we are in Paragraph 4 with no paper -- and, at least yet, no insight -- in sight. For now, I'm adjusting to the freefall and trusting that something worthwhile will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment