Friday, June 26, 2009

What matters -- and how much

The local newspaper arrived today with the name "Michael" in a large headline and a picture of Michael Jackson filling the top two-thirds of the page. In the upper right-hand corner, in much smaller type, was the publication's nameplate.

I assumed that this was a fitting special section to special entertainer. It wasn't. It was the front page.

It reminded me of a lunch conversation I'd had with my adult son, also Michael, that day about what matters to people and what information they are willing to pursue. We concluded that most folks are much more interested in being entertained than in learning about the state of their world.

It's hard to recall a non-entertainment-related development receiving the prominent treatment afforded the death of a pop-music star.

I enjoy Michael Jackson's music and mourn his death, but I also mourn the death -- or, at least, critical condition -- of our priorities.

No comments:

Post a Comment